Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas 1942

70 years ago
 What did Christmas look like?
 
1515 in 1942
a small simple tree with a strand of lights, shiny bright
ornaments and tinsel.
Probably the last year to use tinsel since it
was not available during the war.
Oranges and nuts under the tree.
Gifts wrapped in tissue paper.
 
 
Christmas Eve Dinner 1942
The mood is somber.
The table is candlelit.
I am sure they are thinking of what lies ahead.
My Dad will graduate from HS the next year
and head to the Pacific.
 
It is was a simple Christmas
But the meaning was there
being with family and being
thankful for what you have not what you
don't have.
 
My next post will be
Christmas
1912
 
 
Thank you to all of you
for your wonderful friendships this year.
They are so cherished.
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS
ANN
 
Joining Elaine
 
 
 


14 comments:

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

lovely old photos! and so interesting!

bj said...

Have a very merry Christmas.
xo bj

Simply Shelley said...

Beautiful post....being thankful for what we have.....something we all should do more...Merry Christmas friend.

Laura said...

Thank you for stopping by ...I love old pictures to......they tend to capture my interest. Yes... everyone should be thankful
for what they have...

Merry Christmas

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love that old photo of the tree and the gifts. Makes me feel nostalgic. We have pictures out from holidays past and of one of my grandma by the tree at my childhood house. I was not born yet but my brother is in the shot. It was 1962. I love that we stumbled upon that one this year. Can't wait to see your 1912 one.

Vintage Gal said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful old photoes ~ how wonderful to see them. Christmas was much simpler back then ~ Have a very Merry Christmas and may God bless you and your family ~

20 North Ora said...

What a sweet post! We have so much to be thankful for and just don't always realize it.

Merry Christmas.

Judy

c. Joy said...

Thank you for sharing your family memories with us. I Love the Treee! Merry Christmas!

On Crooked Creek said...

Ann,
Simpler times are the ones I cherish most! Thank you for this subtle reminder!!!
What a continual blessing you have been in my life this past year. I cherish your friendship!!!
Merry, Merry Christmas, dear friend!!!
Fondly,
Pat
P.S.. . .and of course, "Mr. Ed", too!

Unknown said...

Wonderful post Ann, that is the year I was born, love the look back.
Hugs and Merry Christmas
Marilou xoxo

NanaDiana said...

What great old photos- That was quite a year, wasn't it? xo Diana

Gail said...

Beautiful post Ann! Merry Christmas to you my friend, Gail

Donna said...

What a treasure your vintage Christmas photos are, Ann! I think the simple things are the best for Christmas! And that is interesting about no tinsel due to the war. My mom talks about all the rationing during the war. We sure are spoiled now, aren't we? Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Unknown said...

Dear Ann,
Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday and Merry Christmas. Enjoy the Love of the season.
Kindredly, Shilrey