Sunday, September 6, 2015

Flower Trading Cards

This started as a Mum post, but as always I find something I forget I have.

like these

Arm and Hammer Trading Cards.
Mine are flowers, when I looked it up they started doing this in 1888

I found this online, thank you to iluvfish2 who ever you may be,
Below info was sent to me via Arm and Hammers Customer Support...now this is some great stuff!

"The first cards were an early form of product promotion and collecting
them was a nationwide fad over a century ago. Originally, the cards were
distributed inside the boxes of ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda.

The first series of cards, 2 x 3 inches in size and entitled "Beautiful
Birds of America" appeared in 1888. The reverse side identified the
subject and gave a brief history. Leading artists of the day were
commissioned, the most famous being Louis Agassiz Fuertes (1874-1927).

In the following five decades, well over 500 different artworks in trading
card sets of 15, 30 or 60 were published. In addition to birds, the cards
were designed featuring flowers, animals, cow breeds, fish, champion dogs
and Mother Goose characters.

To the best of our knowledge the cards were produced as follows:

Beautiful Birds; copyright unavailable-1904
Game Birds; copyright 1904-1910
Useful Birds; 1908-1938
Birds of Prey; 1975
Interesting Animals; unavailable-1915
Dairy Animals; unavailable
Champion Dogs; 1902
New Series of Dogs; 1910
Fish; 1900
Beautiful Flowers; unavailable
Mother Goose; 1900

Distribution of the cards ended in 1966. A commemorative 10 card set was
issued in 1976. If you are interested in the value of any cards you may
have, we suggest that you check with a dealer who specializes in
collectible cards."
Oh no! Something for me to try and collect.
I have a few, looks pretty scarce on ebay for the flowers, they have plenty of bird ones.

I always use my little shelf under the staircase for seasonal things.

one of my favorite little pitchers I use in the fall.
I always have plenty of nasturtiums in the garden, I planted 5 different colors.
a french post card

my chrysanthemum McCoy Vase
I bought it on ebay a few years ago to go with my Grandmothers
Hyacinth one.



the back it is a Buckbee seed advertisement



they are not in great shape, but I don't care I enjoy them!
so I learned something new today about my little cards.
Hope you enjoyed learning about the 
Arm and Hammer Trading Cards.



12 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Anna - Very interesting info. Love all of your photos!

Judy

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

So many lovely things with flowers on them.
Never ever have I heard of Armer Hammer trading cards.
I really liked the French postcard.
Have a great week.
Denise

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Ann, I love that they are not perfect. Well loved is what they are, and so pretty and interesting. You have the best collections! Sweet seasonal display also. :)

Pat said...

Ann,
Glorious collection of Floral Trading Cards, dear friend!!!
I adore your Seasonal Entry . . .makes me smile and warms my heart!!!
Thank you for sharing and always inspiring!!!
Fondly,
Pat

NanaDiana said...

You certainly have a great collection there, Ann. I love that McCoy vase, too!!! Hope you have a great Labor Day- xo Diana

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Ann, you knew I would like those being that they are advertising/trade cards right? I think I have a few of the beautiful bird ones. I like all of your breakable pretties too.
Have a great week,
Gina

Debbie said...

What a wonderful collection of cards you have, Ann! anything with flowers and birds is good in my book! I like your pretty arrangement for the new season you've displayed under the stairway...it's very appealing to the eye.
Have a great week, dear one.
Debbie
xo

Donna said...

What a fun collection of trading cards, Ann! Your mum McCoy vase is so neat! I've never seen one like it before. Luck you! Now if it would just start to feel like fall here temperature wise, I'd be happy:)

Ann Rasmussen said...

I have never seen the trading cards before. I love them. You always have the pretties little treasures and so nicely displayed.

Sue McPeak said...

I certainly did learn something new from your Cards. I've never seen them with the 'Arm and Hammer' stamp. Interesting history...thanks for sharing. Loved seeing your McCoy vase...also a new piece to me. I use to collect McCoy vases, too. Now only have a few as I've sold most of them off. Still love looking at them though. Hope to get back to visiting more often...enjoyed your post.
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I have never seen any of those cards before, but maybe I just never noticed them. They are so pretty, I don't know how I could have missed seeing them ever before. I'll be keeping an eye out for them now. I learned so much from your post, plus I enjoyed looking at your pretty flower pictures.

Your McCoy vase is great. Unusual and beautiful.

Happy Autumn!

Susie Donahue

Divya said...

Superb Article i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar