Thursday, August 8, 2013

Vintage Strainer

I had my Grandmother's strainer and pestal that my Mom always used to make tomato sauce and other things as she harvested from her garden.

grape jelly was also made with it

Although for today's posts it is appropriate
I feel like some days I am being pushed through a strainer like that myself!

Someone just accessed by checking account again.
They paid their Comcast Cable in Chicago to the sum of $389.88
with MY money.
I live in St Louis, we don't even have comcast?
I just am having one of those days...

I have worked hard, Full time as RN since I was 20 years old, with no more than 2 weeks off at a time,
that is 33 years and counting.
I am tired, but financially we keep sinking further and further......I don't get it?
I feel like we are paying for everyone else to stay home and think of ways to fraud us hard working people out of our money we are sweating out to make everyday.
So see why I feel I am being pushed through Grandma's strainer?

But happy memories I am thinking in my Mom's kitchen
So I can SNAP OUT OF IT NOW!

I am blessed to HAVE a full time job and the health to go to it everyday and work sometimes 15 hours!
I can pay my mortgage, electric bill and put food on the table.
There is just none anymore left over like there use to be to travel or buy that cute outfit or more importantly that antique I want.
But I am blessed
Thanks for listening to me today my friends.

On a good note my cousins Bob and Judy are suppose to be flown back to Colorado today.
People donated enough money for them to be flown back.
See, there are REALLY good people in this world to.
I appreciate all the prayers, they were answered.

And look what my friend donated from his shop for our 
Charleston Riot Fundraiser!
circa 1870's maple bench!
Isn't it gorgeous? Retail price $495
Would look great in a foyer.
I hope someone bids on it.
sells the most wonderful, quality antiques mostly from the 
1800's.

Hope your day is a great one surrounded by the good people of the world,
not the ones who are dishonest like the cable subscriber in Chicago!

18 comments:

Terra said...

My recent blog post has a quote by Emerson which fits your post today, how life varies day by day. How mean someone is to steal from you, yet people donated money so your relatives could fly. Up and down. The USA is getting more full of takers every day it seems, while productive workers have a hard time. Hugs from Terra.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh what a bother to have to deal with! I'm so sorry. Something like this can sure send me into a spin, even when it is eventually all cleared up.

I'm no longer surprised when you say that you have your mother's whatever (fill in the blank), because it seems you have every little sweet thing. Such a sweet vintage life you live.

I'm glad for the news on your cousins, and hope they are doing well.

Sending cheer your way!



Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the fraud! I hope your bank gives you your money back. Glad your cousins are doing better.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the fraud! I hope your bank gives you your money back. Glad your cousins are doing better.

LV said...

I have my mother's strainer. Do not have the masher tho.

Richard Cottrell said...

All these people out for a free ride. What has the world come too? I guess it really has been than way from the dawn of time. Just different methods. I remember my mother using one of those strainers for black berry jelly as well. Wrapped the cooked berries in a cloth and hung them up to drip and then into a strainer. What hard work. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Ann said...

The strainer looks great on the enamel table!!! It seems like there are so many people out there willing to do anything to get something for nothing!! Hoping you can get them caught.
Ann

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Ann, that is horrible! Well, about your money, but wonderful about your cousins, and the beautiful bench. I hope the bank can figure this thing out, and I hope they have reimbursed you.
Now, about that strainer, I sure could have used it for my tomatoes this summer. Hubby wants tomato juice without the pulp and seeds.

Michelle said...

How terrible! I hope your bank is refunding your money and that whoever did that is caught. It's great to have things passed down from one generation to the next.

Lottie said...

Ann, I'm so glad your cousins are doing well. And how wonderful for people to help out with airfare! The maple bench looks beautiful! I know you feel like that tomato strainer about the money. I hope the bank finds the crooks!

Jill said...

That is just an awful thing to happen, hope there's better days ahead!!

sweetvintageofmine said...

Morning Ann, First off, I am sooo happy that your cousins are doing much better! Thank you God for healing their bodies!! And I agree with you....people who have worked so hard their whole life...there money doesn't seem to go as far!! Millions of people are struggling and it never use to be that way! I pray you WILL get your money back but this "stealing" is going to get worse! My hubby had $250 stolen against his card a few weeks ago and we keep getting a scam on the phone wanting his ss and info! We reported it to the police but it doesn't stop the calls. I understand...that is why I moved! Got tired of paying $4000 a yr in real estate taxes...Enough! You have a wonderful attitude!....we are only human! By the way, I have a strainer just like that! Blessings~~~Roxie

Susie said...

Ann, Nothing makes me madder than a thief. If people put the talent and skill it takes to steal from others to better use....it would make more sense...My mom used to have a saying, She said , "some people will work harder to get out of work than if they had a dang job!" I think they should be able to catch the person, by finding out the number of the account paid with your funds. Good luck Ann. xoxo,Susie

Busy Bee Suz said...

People who steal instead of working are a disgrace. I hope you can get this cleared up soon and without much stress. I love the strainer and the bench!

Pat said...

Ann,
It's days like this when I wish I could reach through the computer screen and give you a HUGE hug!!! What a horrible thing to have to go through, dear friend!!!
I had NO idea of what the strainer was...or what its intended use, but my Mother~in~law had one on the kitchen counter during all of August!!!
The meat grinder on the counter!!! I am, far too familiar with. In my youth, it was my Sunday evening chore to grind Sunday's roast with peeled potaotes and onions into Monday's makings of HASH!!! STILL, to this day, I don't care for HASH!
Hope knowing that I care...as do your other followers...brings back your smile and a touch of JOY in your heart!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Some one got your bank account access?! I know you've changed everything! That's horrible. Our identity was stolen about 6 years ago and it was a nightmare and over $7,000 was taken! Well, regardless, God is good and we do have so much to be thankful for. I love your olden kitchen tools and they all look so happy on my Hoosier.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow, that bench is a beauty! Love your mothers strainer too Ann. I hear ya on the fraud thing. a couple months ago we had two transactions come through our bank with a card that I never use. It was for two house trestles for the large sum of $1,000. Guess where it came from? Italy, of all places. Never even been there little lone ordering two trestles to be shipped there. Can't for the life of me figure out how they got the info. The bank took off all of the fee's, but I had to write a letter to the Company stating that I knew no one in Italy. Crazy huh?
hugs,
Jann

GardenOfDaisies said...

That is terrible that someone is stealing your money!! i hope that Comcast gives your money back right away and they find out who did this. LOVE the bench. If we had a large foyer I would want to buy that! Your strainer is just like the one that my Grandma used to make her homemade applesauce. Good memories.