Wednesday, February 8, 2012

By the Light of Day

My sweet blogging friends who have been asking about the water line update!

This is what I saw this morning in the light of day.
The life of a nurse, leave in the dark..return in the dark.
Yesterday was a 6:30am-9:15pm day..uuugghh
so I snapped this in my robe from the front porch!

They had to remove part of the city sidewalk, but luckily not ours.
the entire side of our front yard we will have to redo. I had to
dig up my Sarah Bernhardt peony :(
my David Austin Mary Rose :(
two of my favorite bloomers, maybe they will live?

the cost at 615 was about half of what it was at 1515.
I guess this comes with owning houses built in 1903 and 1896.
I have not seen 1515 yet, but the line there was about the entire length of the lot.
here it was just from the front yard to the water meter. Had to dig through the basement wall.
1515 they had to dig under the crawl space and no plumber wanted to do it.
It is all done now and hopefully we can move on to happier days.


Ann

9 comments:

Olive said...

Oh no Ann. Old houses will develop your character that is for sure. I well remember the days of leaving in the dark and coming back 14 hours later. I do not think I could work four hours now so who would want me? Hang in there sweetie:) you need smiles and not frowns:) xoxo, olive

Richard Cottrell said...

There is always something when you have an old house, any house really. It's kinda like they can tell when you are doing pretty good, something goes wrong. Don't work to hard. Happy Valentines Day. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Rose H (UK) said...

I don't know what is happening at the moment Ann, you've had problems with two water lines and in the last week one of my friends has had a problem too with her 100 year+ cottage, and today another two folk I know are in the same situation...
I'm sure you're all sorted now (thank goodness), and as the peony and rose are both dormant you should be okay with them to.
Sending a {{hug}}
Rose H
[x

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to go through this water mess. My goodness you work long hours. I did something like that in the past when I was alone and my children were young - full time job in the day - part time job in the night. I have no idea how that was even possible. Retired now and I love it! Sending blessings your way!

Tete said...

Glad you are all done with that mess, or those messes. Nothing like vintage plumming. Hope your plants make it!

Debbie said...

I'm sorry that you are having issues like this, Ann.
I hope your plants come back in the spring.
Hang in there, dear.
xxoo

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! I'm sorry you're having to go through this! Now you take care of yourself and don't work too hard!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

ann said...

Oh what a bummer to have to dig up your lovely plants. Water lines and old homes are alway messy--and expensive, too.

Cindy said...

Don't you love old houses? Ours was built in 1914, so I totally understand what your experience has been!