Thursday, April 28, 2011

Memories of London

With this past Easter Sunday and the Royal Wedding coming up, I am thinking of London and missing my Mother so.


Here she is taking a quick break outside St. Paul's.

My Mother and I use to be frequent travelers to England.  In 1992 my Mom and I got our passports for the first time, and headed to Europe for a 2 week tour. We loved the shopping and the historical sightseeing. So we went back again and again. One special trip we were in London on Easter Sunday and went to St. Paul's for the Sunday service.

So with the wedding coming up here are some snippets of favorite memories and why.

The gates of Buckingham Palace were quiet on this day.

The mall on Easter Sunday 1992. You can see Buckingham Palace in the background. This is the route the wedding processional will take back from Westminster Abbey.

June 1993 the same route with the Union Jack hanging for Trooping the Color.

Westminster Abbey, where the action will be tomorrow. Pictures are not allowed inside.

Now, can I tell you a story about my memories of when Princess Diana got married? I was a 21 year old RN, working night shift. I worked on a medicine floor but got pulled that night to a step down ICU. I remember they were only 4 rooms, I had 2. In one room was a college student who had drank too much and her roommate who was elderly and legally deaf. There was a old large tv in the room by the door, and yes I had it on quietly and when I had a moment I would wander by to look.
I promised myself that when William got married I WOULD be off so I could watch the wedding. The day they announced their engagement, I asked for the day off. So I am starting my vacation starting today, yippee! 20 days off!! What a way to start it.
Memories of Diana
St Paul's


Small narrow roads lead you to St. Paul's


The famous steps and door where Diana passed.


And here is the isle Diana walked with that 25 ft train


Here is my favorite day in London

Standing outside the Ritz. My Mom and I met my Mom's best friend who just happened to be in London the same time we were met us at the Ritz for tea. I remember how I planned out my outfit, I am sure I used Diana as a role model.  One thing I won't forget is, we went by taxi and the taxi driver said "mum, make him come open the door for you" meaning the greeter outside the Ritz.


Here we are, two small town gals having high tea at the Ritz in London.

The beauty that surrounded us that day.

I hope you enjoyed the London tour of my memories. Sorry but these were taken before we had digital photos.
So tomorrow, I will sip from my Harrods tea cup with a vintage Selfridge's silver spoon, and relive some memories and miss my mother.

Happy life Kate and Will!

Joining Coloradolady for Vintage Thingie Thursday


15 comments:

Amanda said...

What a wonderful post! I thoroughly enjoyed the read and your photos! Your travel memories with your mom are so special. I have not been to England but it is definitely on the top of my travel wish list!
Thanks again for a great share!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Vacation photos will never be the same again! Ha! Some people work very hard to get their photos to look exactly like this! I enjoyed this wonderful tour. I'm glad you have some time off to enjoy old memories.

Rose H (UK) said...

Such lovely memeories :o)
I can't say I'll be rooted to the TV tomorrow, but I do of course wish William and Kate well. I bet it'll be a fabulous day for everybody!

★Carol★ said...

Such wonderful memories of London and especially your Mom! I would love to visit England, and I can only imagine how amazing tomorrow will be. Wish I could be there, but I won't miss a moment of it on TV!

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Thanks for sharing these special trips with your Mom with us. I know you really miss her. You are blessed to be able to have these wonderful memories, tho. Looking forward to the wedding, too!

GardenOfDaisies said...

What special memories you have of your mum and your trips to England together! Thank you for sharing your pictures. I have never been to England, but wish I could go. I'll be watching the telly early tomorrow morning!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what special memories. I love your pics and thanks for the tour. Your mom looks like such a very special lady. Enjoy tomorrow. Hugs, Marty

Cindy said...

I enjoyed your photos and memories. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tete said...

Oh Ann, what lovely memories with your mom and she was so cute, so were you! I am so glad you posted this and hope you have the best time watching the wedding tomorrow. Your mom will be right beside you, so you better set tea for two.
Love all the photos- I was 18 when they married and pregnant! Very pregnant and I watched it all the way through, just being newly married myself and Diana and I being so close in age.
I am not sure if I will watch it- just not as enchanting for me as it was all those years ago- but I may catch the highlights.
If we have a good day, my butt will be outside! I didn't get out much today.
Hugs- Tete

Rebecca said...

This is so cool! I've never been hardly anywhere! What special memories with your mother! Enjoy your long vacation!

ann said...

What lovely memories with your mother. Thank you for sharing. I've made two trips to England and can't get enough of England. I am hoping to return next spring. Enjoy the wedding.

gail said...

what a sweet post! and what lovely memories. London is the best, isn't it?
I wish this lovely couple nothing but happiness...they really do look so in love, don't they?
gail

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing the memories of your mother with us. It is a wonderful thing to have great memories of a relationship like that, that is always a blessing :)

Lottie said...

Oh Ann, what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your memories of your trips with your mother and your wonderful pictures! After watching the wedding yesterday over and over, I really enjoyed your post this morning!

Donna said...

What wonderful memories of London! That is just awesome that you were able to travel there with your Mom! I remember watching Diana's wedding on my little black and white tv set it my bedroom. I woke up extra early just to watch it! Love all of your great photos, tea at the Ritz must have been so much fun! Have a great vacation:)