Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tale of Two Families

Mr. and I had a wonderful evening last night.
His cousin got as many of the family cousins together that she could.
There were 13 along with my MIL and her BIL.

As I listened to the stories, I realized how different they were from my family
There is alot more first cousins than with my family!
19 of them, from 5 siblings
German Catholic
They still have parents living

only 8 of us from 3 siblings
German/Scottish Protestant
Our parents are all gone

They seem to only get together at funerals, the last time the 7 of us were together was at my cousins funeral.


Mr.'s Grandfather was a first generation born American and his Grandmother 2nd generation.
Coming to America in 1876.
My Grandad and Grandmother both had ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War.
We have been in the same county in IL since 1828.


They parents grew up in the city of St. Louis
The house the parents grew up in is now a famous St. Louis
Irish pub. Last summer we were eating there and I said to Mr. " I think we are eating in your grandparents backyard"

My family is small town, farmers with the exception of my Grandparents who lived in town.
They lived at 1515 almost 60 years.
We still enjoy the same back yard today.



Hearing about "city" life is interesting and different.
They finally moved in the 1940's from where they were so they would have an indoor toilet.
Where my farm family had an indoor toilet even in the 1890's.
Now you would think my family on the farm would be the one with no indoor toilet?

But then a theme began to emerge.........

during the depression families lived together....same at 1515

Looking at pictures of the cousins growing up, there were alot of Holidays and
summers spent together............same at 1515

They worked hard and loved each other.........same at 1515

The men served in WWII, came home and married their
sweethearts and started a family.........same at 1515

I guess our families are not that different
Catholic vs Protestant
Large vs small
City vs small town
Immigrant vs early American


I think we are probably just
The Typical American Family



13 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

How wonderful to know the history of your family and their homes. Looks like a great get-together.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Tete said...

This post is so cool. You know what made families so much alike? No matter where they come from, or when, when they got here, they were Americans and proud of it. It was a place where we joined together no matter what. Where we all grieved, all celebrated and embraced this land with a passion the world will never understand. They were hard workers and they had to sacrifice to get here, to stay here, to raise their families. Back breaking work. And they were thankful for the chance to do it. And underneath all of that, no matter what religion, was their faith. They knew God had led them here and gave them the ability to survive and make a way for their children and grand children.
Love all your photos. I think back then, they were all small town at heart.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Super post. I loved seeing the pics and hearing about your families. Yes, I think you and I have very typical American families. Hugs, Marty

Olive said...

I think Tete's excellent comment covered it Ann. We might all do better today if we relied on each other more. I find it strange the way young mothers do not want any wisdom from the older moms now.

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh how I envy you being able to see your family regularly. Mine has all moved away so visits are few and far between. There is just nothing like family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! Oh, I think it's marvelous you have all this info on your families! I don't have any brothers or sisters but lots of cousins. I think because we seem to move away from 'home' so much more than in the past, families don't stay as close at heart like they used to. That is a shame.
Thanks for popping in to see me and be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I agree! I think we are all a lot more alike than different. We are Catholics living in Utah and enjoy life here despite being very much in the minority. :)

I love all of the pictures and the history.

Have a great day.
Pam

Unknown said...

Hi Ann,
Oh how I enjoyed reading this post. I have not been on the computer much and have some time tonight and happy you came to visit, as I might have missed this post and I'm glad I didn't..Boy, it's amazing at how well you know your family history (and hubby's too)..I'm so impressed..I'm also very happy for you..yes, a typical american family..really love this!
~Shirley

Sara said...

This is wonderful Ann! I really enjoyed reading the story and seeing the great pictures! :)

Rose H (UK) said...

Seems like youy had a great 'knees up' together! It's so lovely to read your blog as your families still keep in touch and share so much together - I think this is lacking in a lot of families, my own included.
Thank you for such a joyus post :o)
Rose H
x

shannon i olson said...

lovely post and photos! My dad looked at a heritage album I made and made a similar comment. Have the family was from Norway/Germany. Not wealthy but a little more "refined". Half the family was dirt poor Arkansas, every photo was a kid with dirt on him, while my mothers side had some with everyone dressed in their best. Yet....every story, every house, every picture still carried the same feel, family together in hard times as well as good times.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Love this post Ann! I am so envious, I come from a tiny family and barely know them. I am very sentimental too and your posts make me smile and feel cozy. :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a great post Ann. Families can be so different and still have alot in common. I grew up in a family of 8 children. Some of us are Catholic and some are LDS. However we are very close and get along wonderfully. We just don't talk religion. lol! Enjoyed learning more of your family. Love that your hubby's family home is now a pub.
Hugs,
Jann