Thursday, July 5, 2012

Grandmother's Porcelain Doll Head

Next week is my Grandmother's family reunion......# 106.
So this time of year turns to thoughts of my Grandmother.
She died before I was born and when my Grandfather remarried they must of divided up some of her things.
This was my Dad's pick.....strange for a man to pick, maybe?
This is a porcelain doll head she bought herself.
Love the sweet little face.
It always was in the secretary in our living room.

The note can be found inside the head. It is handwritten by my Grandmother, she wrote that "one time when I was maybe 9 or 10 we came to Charleston I was given 25 cents to spend"
I guess that would be about 1902, so now I need to go read her sister, (Aunt Annie) diaries and I probably can tell the exact date she bought it.

She was special to my Dad and she is to me too.
She hangs out in my living room watching over things, in my little corner cabinet.
Dad, I am sure glad you chose her to come home with you.










11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet doll. She was loved when she was bought by a very young girl and is still loved today. Life is wonderful. So many memories to hold on to! By the way how is your project going that you are working on? Did you finish it?
enjoy the day!

Paulette said...

Your grandmother was a forward thinker by including a note with one of her prized items. Lovely figure and a sweet story.

LV said...

Because your dad realized how much this meant to your grandmother was why he kept it. It is definitely I would treasure as well.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

So sweet. Now we also know why it is so cherished! I really enjoyed this post.

Rose H (UK) said...

Oh, this is such a lovely doll with a sweet, sweet story attached to it Kathy. Your grandmother did a very special thing putting the little note inside her sweet doll - she knew it would stay in the family and be treasured :o)

Sending {{hugs}}
Rose H
x

Rose H (UK) said...

So Sorry ANN - I had a brainstorm! Still sending {{hugs}}
Rose H
xx

Susie said...

Ann, that is a wonderful keepsake. Hope your reunion is great...we just had ours and it was really nice. Smiles, Susie

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

How wonderful that you have those diaries so you can discover things about your grandmother...lovely heirloom. Thanks for finding me at WordPress.

Tete said...

What a sweet little face! I am glad he picked her, too. Love that the little note is still with her.
Hope you are doing ok in all this heat! Its going to be nasty Saturday, so you be careful and keep your family safe and inside! Sunday is supposed to be so nice- but that means storms in between yuck and yeah! Keep the basement door open!

NanaDiana said...

Ann- She is beautiful! She is a lot bigger than I thought when I first saw her. How wonderful that your Dad picked her. It must have reminded him of his Mum somehow. xo Diana

Anonymous said...

HI Ann! Oh, what a precious little doll head. Aren't you fortunate to have it and the little note from your grandmother. Have a great time at the reunion.
Be a sweetie,
sehlia ;)