Tuesday, July 3, 2012

OH Andy...........

I was so sad to hear that Andy Griffith had died this morning.
He reminded me of my Dad in a way. My Dad had a great smile, witty sense of humor and a way with people just like Andy. Plus my brother is red headed and looked so much like Opie when he was little.
This is a beautiful statue in the hometown of Andy, Mount Airy, NC.
A few years ago my cousin and were going to NC for a genealogy trip, on the way we made a overnight stop and Mount Airy. We had so much fun, so as a tribute to Andy today, I want to take a look back and think of all the happy memories he created for us with that magical town of Mayberry.
Even the real Thelma Lou had recently moved there from California!


We found out we could stay in Andy's house he grew up in, so we did!
They lived there over 30 years. It reminded me of 1515 a little.
Maybe that is why we were so comfortable there, except the bathroom!

I just adored the kitchen, it was so bright and cheery and it REALLY
reminds me of the kitchen at 1515.
I bet Mrs.Griffiths made some great meals here.

I spent the night in his parents bedroom. The hats reminded me of Aunt Bee.

Mary stayed in Andy's boyhood home
At the time, there was big times blocked out when you could not stay there. I was told because Andy would come back and stay for a couple of weeks a year.

Then it was on to discover the rest of Mayberry.....oh I mean Mount Airy!
We never saw Barney, but I had a feeling he was always watching us?

If you look close you can see a picture of Floyd cutting Andy's hair

Of course his name was not really Floyd, but we had so much fun!
His wall has pictures of all those that come to visit and sit in his chair.

No visit is complete unless you sit in Andy's chair.

Was I calling Barney or Aunt Bee to bring me lunch?

Mary was looking for Otis!

Don't you know... we found him!
Yes, he was wandering the streets.

How did we get around town?
In the squad car...how else?
The squad car drives you around town.

And if we had trouble
we could call Wally's and Goober would come get us.

We left and went on our way.
But on the way back home we could not help but come back for more.
Oh my the breakfast we had here!! Yum Yum

I have made plenty of links for you to check out the sights.
It was a wonderful trip and again...
Andy thanks for the memories.






16 comments:

Mecky said...

I just read about Andy's death not more than 15 minutes ago. The first thing I did was call my mom.
She told me something I don't ever remember hearing before. My dad had met Andy many years ago.

I didn't know about the Mayberry set up in Mt Airy. That would be so much fun to visit!! And I thought my hometown was such a Mayberry! LOL

I am really saddened by the loss of Andy, but he will live on in our hearts and on TV.

Simply Shelley said...

I am sad too. What fun memories you have of Mayberry. I would love to visit there sometime....blessings

Gail said...

Oh No, I had not heard about Andy Griffith until I read your blog. My husband will be heart broken to hear this. He loved Andy Griffith! Looks like a wonderful place to visit to have some fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! I know, I'm so sad. I heard about Andy's passing this morning. What a wonderful place where he lived and Mayberry! I still enjoy seeing those old shows.
Have a wonderful 4th.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

We have all lost our friend, Andy. What a treasure he was. He will live on in our hearts and the reruns. I will watch till my dvd's run out or they take it off tv or I am gone from this world, which every comes first.
We all loved him so much.
Sniff...

Paulette said...

I am also saddened by the loss of Andy, RIP.

NanaDiana said...

Yes-RIP Andy- He brought so much joy to so many- xo Diana

Thoughts for the day said...

Wasn't he a wonderful man? and look at Ron Howard how he has become a young man too doing well. Miss those kinds of shows these days, we don't have anything to compare other than the old reruns of little house on the prairie.

Olive said...

I spent many an afternoon with Andy and Opie. Great post Ann.

Babs said...

I was sad to hear that Andy had passed away, too. It's so neat that you visited Mayberry..I mean Mount Airy and got to stay in his house. What a legacy of happy memories he left with his tv programs and records. He will be missed.

Donna said...

I felt bad hearing the news about Andy, too. We always loved watching his re-runs. Great photos of your trip! I never knew that you could stay in his home. Hubby and I passed thru there a few years ago, when we were in NC on an rv trip. We ate lunch at a diner in town (can't remember the name) that Andy used to eat at when we was a teenager.

Unknown said...

My hubby and I were so sad to hear this news. We both loved him so much..It brought sadness to us as so many of our favorites are leaving us..it's only a matter of time when out turn is here. I would go back in a moment! Sigh...

Jill said...

Love your post!! I can hear that catchy theme song in my head......

Jenny's Heart said...

I loved to hear him sing most of all!
The episode when he sings "Church In The Wild Wood" was when I fell in love with his voice and my heart is a little sad missing him already.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Ahhh, I hadn't heard either! We watched that show a lot when we were little!
Boy that's a cute yellow and white kitchen. Looks like you made some great memories in Mayberry!
Erica

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What fun! I had no idea about this town. Andy was certainly part of our young lives. Great that you went there.