Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Remembering a Day

100 years ago on May 26, 1917 a tornado stuck where I was born, Charleston IL
it hit the town next to it first and resulted in over 100 deaths.

As part of the Coles County Genealogical Society we researched the day, it was so fascinating, we ended up having a Memorial Service, 2 of our members put a booklet together with all the names, pictures of their tombstones, obituary and brief bio.


My GGGrandmothers first cousin and wife were killed. 
The stories are heartwrenching

I sorted through my Grandmother and Great Grandmother letters, and sure enough I found a letter my GGrandmother wrote to my Grandmother in nursing school describing the event.


A documentary was made, they asked me to read my GGrandmothers descriptive letter.
My surprise when we went to the showing, the first voice you hear on the documentary is mine.
If you would like to see it here is the link



7 comments:

Susie said...

Ann, This is an interesting letter. I am always amazed at the history you have there. So sad...even in this day and time of weather predictions, there can be loss of life. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Mecky said...

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Curtains in My Tree said...


I remember a tornado when I was about 3rd grade in Mt Vernon Ill and it scared me to death.
I realize now it was very small tornado compared to what we have today like at Rolla Missouri

You find more interesting things of the past, which I always like to read

المثالية للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
المثالية للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susie said...

Ann, I miss you ans hope you are well...you have been in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo, Susie

Divya said...

Superb Article i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar