Friday, July 29, 2016

Think Back When You Pass By..........

When You pass by a sad looking house, remember it was once someones beloved home.
It was once a home filled with laughter, tears, the smell of home cooked meals.
Do you pass by one?

Under the porch eaves little girls had a tea party

even the kitty cats called in home

they played in the green grass the surrounded the brick home

the lives of a family were the center of that home
 hope dreams wishes
were imagined on the porch



There are many of them we pass

who peered out those windows?
who walked the steps?
who cared for the lawn?
who sat in their wheelchair on the porch and spoke to the passerby?
who was pulled away from the picture window by her sister just before it broke during a tornado?
over 100 years has passed.........
some stained glass is still there, some has disappeared.

families gathered on those steps
flowers were planted



Stop and look and imagine sometime
The sad of now once was happy then.
Please look at me, don't throw me away.
Preservation.


The first home was of my Grandmother's cousin.
The second home is of my Great Grandfather's sister Emma.
How I wish both would be preserved for a new family to enjoy once again.

14 comments:

Susie said...

Ann, I know what you are talking about. I see homes like that all thru our town. It's sad that more people want a new home, rather than restore an older home with way more character than any new one can have. I feel that way about barns too. Hope your weekend is a great one. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Anonymous said...

If I had an endless supply of money, I'd fix up all the run-down homes I see. I agree with what Susie said above.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I always wonder about the people who lived in homes long ago.

I liked the one front yard with the elephant ear plants and what looks like hollyhock plants near the porch. There was a gardener that lived there.

Pat said...

Ann,
Sounds as if you and your sweet husband need to start a "Rehab" biz!
Oh, how I wish our little town on the Prairie had had something for "Mr. Ed" and I to have rehabbed when we first arrived. Most homes in this area weren't built until the 1950's.
Post war homes. Being close to an Air Force Base, many settled here after World War II.
Both these homes were at one time absolutely lovely!
Fondly,
Pat

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

I always think about the family and the history when I see abandoned overgrown homes like that. Thanks for sharing your great photos with us again. :)

Summer said...

Aww such lovely home and memories ♥


summerdaisy.net

Tete said...

That's what goes through my head when we are out taking photos and come across an old home, left to fade away.

NanaDiana said...

I feel the exact same way about old houses that you do. I often wonder how they every came to be abandoned. Who was the last person that lived in that house and why did no one move in after that person was gone? So much history and love (or sadness, too) in those old walls.

Thanks for popping in to my blog and leaving me a sweet message, too. xo Diana

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ann! I feel this way too when I see an old neglected house and wonder about the families who lived there. Love your olden snaps. Thanks for popping in to see me and your comments on Instagram. I've posted a snap each day since I've joined just because.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

One Shabby Old House said...

What wonderful pictures and better still to have them and know who they are. I often wonder about the stories of our old house. There wasn't much recorded history of the family that built it and how I would have loved to have seen it brand spankin new.

Suzanne said...

Lovely post! I love old houses and the stories they tell. I just started following Cheap Old Houses on Instagram. Every day they post a picture of a pretty old house for sale. Enjoy your day!

Curtains in My Tree said...


I always liked the show named If Walls Could Talk
remember that show ? That is what those pictures reminds me of
I hate it when my city bulldozer down houses like this instead of someone fixing them up.
I live in a city where history is not preserved

Terra said...

Beautiful bits of family history with your family homes and the photos of people who once lived and laughed and cried in them.

Divya said...

Superb Article i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar