Thursday, July 10, 2014

You Can Go Home Again

I guess I did not listen to the saying "you can never go home again" because 5 years ago today after a 36 year absence our family was back home at 1515
July 10, 2009
I bought my Grandparents home that they lived in from 
1926-1978
I am sure some thought I was nuts, I was buying it as a second home.
I remember that day thinking "Dreams really do come true"

The day I bought it I ran through my Grandparents closet that opens in my Dad's room and you can run from their into the dining room, living room and back to their room.....I was 6 again and loving it!
All the Grandchildern have been back and many Great Grandchildren.
But without a doubt that home has changed lives, made stronger family ties and brought so many memories alive.

It looks different now, the trees are gone
the white clapboard is gone.
The lived through the Great Depression, WWII, marriages, deaths, weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties. 
They were so proud of the place they called home.

now


But so many traditions are back
pictures taken on the front porch
My Mom and Dad in High School
the cousins
if you come visit you sign the guest book and have your picture taken on the porch.

we again gather in the living room where my Aunt was married
1943

It is now where her daughter welcomes long lost relatives

My cousins sleep in their Mom's bedroom.
My Dad's room is full of his things again.

The Christmas tree then

now same spot

the dining room that saw a Christmas Eve of uncertainly in 1941
the Christmas Day 50th Wedding anniversary of my Great Grandparents in 1936
now is filled with family meals, parties and celebrations once again

The kitchen that saw many a meal made by my Grandmother and cleaned up by others
my Mom and Aunt Catherine
My Dad's cousin and Aunt Catherine's daughter Mary daughter

The kitchen is the hub of laughter
Dad and Aunt Catherine
Grandad, cousin Deb, me and Jesse
cousin Marty and Fred with Mr.
morning coffee is a tradition there.

Even somethings have come home
Aunt Catherine and Grandmother's Hoosier
Thank you cousin Donna for lovingly taking care of it all those years and being generous enough to bring it home again on her last trip.

Donna's first trip there in 1950
I love 4 generations pictures
now her Grandchildren have come to visit the home of their G G Grandparents

notice the 1515 sign?
It is back to, taken the last time I stepped off the porch with me in 1978.


Hard to believe one home holds the memories of the 6th generations who have laid there heads there.

Happiness of weddings and anniversaries, sadness of those we lost.
Birthdays, reunions, girlfriend get a ways.

I asked on our family FB page to tell of your favorite memory,
most have said, being with family and becoming closer.

This home has worked miracles in many ways for our family,
whether 1926 or 2014.

God Bless 1515 Jackson

Grandad your Grandchildren are still laying there heads there now, sometimes with a giggle or two and the
"Good night" like the Walton's

PART I

PART II
show you the interior changes since I bought the house






10 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love hearing about this fabulous home and all the memories.

Mecky said...

That is so wonderful that you have the house back in the family and are creating more memories!

Your 1515 sign is just like the one on my house, except different numbers! I have never wanted to find anything else to replace it.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

You really have given your family a remarkable gift. So rare in our times to have a family home remain in the family. And what a charming place it is!

Linda said...

What fun, Ann! Am looking forward to more "inside" stories and photos. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

Marissa said...

This was an amazing post!
How I wish I would of done the same with my grandparents home.
I had to share this with my mom.
I love your spirit in keeping the memory alive.
Well done!
Xo Marissa

Curtains in My Tree said...


I have often said if my grandparents home was still standing I would buy it and move back to my home town Mt Vernon Illinois.However it was torn down and a nursing home is built on their property and our neighbors house are still standing, makes me so sad to see it when I go through my hometown
Thanks for the comment about Richards Cottrell's House on the flooding river in Clarksville Missouri

Susie said...

Ann, I love this post. You can be so proud that you are helping to keep wonderful memories alive. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

ann said...

Oh how fortunate you are to have this little house in the family. Such a wonderful treasure. I remember my grandmother's, every inch, every detail. In the '90s when it was for sale, I toured it with my aunt, and while it had gone through some renovations, it was still a grand home, an English tutor with the brick work done by an English brick layer in 1934. It will never return to the family, but I will always have those sweet memories and you are saving sweet memories, passing them on, and making more for your family. How wonderful.

Protector of Vintage said...

I love reading your posts about life at 1515!!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Ann, I love that you were able to buy 1515! What fabulous memories from then and the ones you are making now! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann