Monday, May 20, 2013

Grandmother's Hoosier Cabinet is Home Again

35 years ago we packed up 1515 after my Grandfather died.
We all took something, I am still amazed how much has
returned to 1515 since our family owns it again.
This weekend was cousins weekend.
the 5 of us just adore being together twice a year.

This year my cousin Donna brought something very special

strapped to the top of her Jeep all the way from Michigan!

My Grandmothers beloved Hoosier Cabinet.
It sat in the kitchen from 1926-1978
We wondered how many cakes, pies, noodles were made
on its top?

Donna said Grandmother always kept her flavorings here
my cousins told me she always had pieces of paper with recipes hanging here with a clothes pin.
As I have told you before my Grandmother died 2 years before I was born
I listen with such awe as I hear my older cousins talk about this women.
She probably got the red hots she gave to people as "pills" from that cabinet.
She made cakes for her parents 50th wedding anniversary there in 1938.
Cooking there during the Depression and WWII.
The conversations that Hoosier cabinet has heard.
the 5 of us reminisced, yes we cried too as we
put it back together

Cousin Donna took such loving care of it all those years.
Years that she used it to cook meals for her children.
It heard all her family stories too over the years.
to roll out the enamel top
I asked what the piece of wood was? Mine at home did not have that?
I was told for Grandmother's meat grinder, so I moved it to where it use to be
the original spice rack and jars

the flour bin was taken out but what a great display area for
my Friendship Pyrex
on the top sits there Campbell coffee can and coffee grinder 
that Grandad had given to my Dad.
we had to move a shelf, but cousin Fred was there to take care of it!
Here sits her cookie jar, crock and wooden spoon.
I heard " oh the cookie jar was always right on the corner, so when
you came in the kitchen you grabbed an applesauce raisin cookie"
our Grandmother's specialty
OH NO! Fred got caught with his hand in the cookie jar!
Donna too!
seems to be a popular place!

here is what it looked like when we were done
there is even 2 strawberry/rhubarb pies cooling on it!
My favorite picture of the weekend.
Donna with her Hoosier cabinet she so lovingly cared for.
Her giving heart returned it home.
I know it had to be hard, she was thinking about her children now grown, 
who use to run around this piece. 
Her Mom probably had similar feelings 35 years ago when they were moving
it out of the same kitchen.
Amazing how a well worn piece of furniture can transform you into thinking
about the years past, the people we love who are no longer here.



As we finished one cousin said...
"I think if Grandmother and Grandad walked in the kitchen right now, they would know they are at home.

21 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, how wonderful. What a beautiful piece with so many memories attached to it. I would love to have some of my grandmother's pieces but unfortunately much was lost in a fire years ago. Your addition to your kitchen is an absolute treasure. Deb

Mecky said...

I am so thrilled for you!! That is so sweet that she brought it home to you!
I have one like yours in my kitchen but it wasn't my grandmothers. My grandmothers went to my cousin who is now gone and the last I heard, her husband's new wife has it. I so hope that she makes sure that my cousins boys family has it.
I would love to know who once owned my cabinet in my kitchen. Whoever it was, I am sure she got as much joy with it as I do!

Barbara F. said...

What a beautiful post. Visiting from Sunny Simple Mondays. Such history and a true family heirloom. xo

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ann! What a lovely post and the Hoosier is so gorgeous! So many memories too. I've always wanted one but have no place to put one now. I just love all of the pretties inside too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Olive said...

Donna is so happy looking and indeed that was sweet to bring the cabinet back to 1515. Hope you are well and rested ANN.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Oh my I love your Hoosier Cabinet. I have my grandmothers too...So special. Please stop on by if you would like to join us with this or any post..Dolly
http://hibiscushouse1.blogspot.com/2013/05/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-109.html

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Wow what a neat story and an amazing piece of furniture.
And amazing she could get it there on top of her car.
So many memories to share,
Cindy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh this almost made me cry. Your hoosier is gorgeous and I am so thrilled it is back home where it belonged. I have that same Campbells coffee can, it is one of my favorite cans. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. this is such a fabulous post. Hugs, Marty

Karen said...

Oh what a wonderful treasure and it looks beautiful. This is just a sweet post, a joy to read.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a beautiful post! I'm sure your grandparents are looking down and are thrilled at what they see. Thanks for sharing this.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

That is wonderful that you got the Hoosier back in the house. That is so neat. It looks like you have such a close knit family, how wonderful. You are truly blessed. Those pies look yummy and I like the way you filled the hoosier. I used to have one but sold it to my sister so I could buy a Victorian walnut stepback cupboard. Thanks for sharing your family and your good times with us. Gina

ann said...

What a wonderful story. Cousins are just the best, aren't they? Special friends and dear family. I am reminded of my best friend's aunt's Hoosier. She was (as they said in those days) and old maid who lived with her brother who ran a horseback riding stable where I lived during the summers. Aunt Rose kept fresh baked cookies in her Hoosier. I hope my dear friend still has the cabinet, for it holds such grand memories, as does yours.

sweet violets said...

What a precious gift!!! And very generous too....

Susie said...

Ann, This is a piece of heaven and history. I like that you all loved it and wanted it where it used to be. xoxo,Susie

On Crooked Creek said...

Ann,
This is an amazing way to spend your time with the cousins!!! I love all the photos of putting things back inside the cabinet...the cookie jar ( and the "caught~red~handed thieves"). . .the pies cooling on the enamel top!!! More memories in the making!!! I, totally, agree...your Grandparents would be thrilled!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Oh this post is just precious! Loved it! I smiled the whole way through and even more at your amusing pictures of everyone with their hand in the cookie jar! :)

And then that pie...I sure do wish I was having a piece of that pie right now! :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Ann, I love the connection you have with your Hoosier cabinet. It definitely is right a home! I just brought mine up from the old house. It is so similar to yours. Even missing the flour bin. I decided to paint it white today. Because the oak color wasn't the best with my basement flooring. Sure hope I don't regret it. Can't wait to start filling it up with my vintage treasures. Even though it's not a family heirloom, moms old cookbook will be right a home there. She was an amazing cook. Loved all of the pics of the cousins in the cookie jar! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

May said...

I loved everything about your story. We have my husband's grandmother's Hoosier, have had it our whole marriage. It meant so much to my mother-in-law that we used it and loved it. I understand completely how a treasure like this makes long gone loved ones feel close once more.
I can't believe you have your grandparents' home! What a joy!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Ann, hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC later today.
hugs,
Jann

Laura Turner said...

What a wonderful story and time shared with cousins! Hoosier cabinets are so special. Please feel free to visit my blog and link up with my Vintage View Sunday party: www.sundayview.blogspot.com

Laura

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Oh how wonderful! The stories you related about your Grandmother's Hoosier and bringing it home was so very touching. My brother has our Grandmother's Hoosier in his home (must admit to wishing it was in my home) but I know that if it could talk it would say many of the same stories you have shared. Lovely post!