Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Auction Find Highlights Family Heirlooms and Ladies

A few years ago at the Tuesday night auction I go to with my friend when I am 1515 I saw a great little shelf 


It was walnut and the scroll work on the side reminded me of something?

My Mom's treasured walnut end tables.
One of the first things my Mom and Dad got when setting up housekeeping in 1947

After my Mother died I could not part with them and one I used in my spare bedroom as a side table.
But when I bought 1515 I thought perfect!

One on each side of the couch at 1515 and you can see the shelf

Recently I was scanning old slides

1957 my sweet Daddy and to his left one of the tables.
This was in their apartment

Moving on to the 1970's
1971
Myself and my beloved dog
Cumberland Queen Ann
and there is the end table
Dad taking goofy pictures of Mom and I with the end table there again

There are so many things I look back at and see something from my parents or Grandparents I use to this day.

So back to the shelf
It is there to honor the women who came before me along with my collection of Remember Me cups

all Grandmothers with the exception of Aunt Annie on the rt

My 2nd Great Grandmother Martha Houston Mitchell Galbreath
she was a true pioneer woman. She raised 13 children, learning herbs healing effects from the local Indians in Illinois in the 1820's, her father survived the Revolutionary War Battle of Guilford Courthouse fought on his parents plantation.
So yes I Remember you 

Martha's son James Adam Galbreath with his bride Catherine Fitzhue Wilson on their wedding in 1886. She is the little girl in the tin type about the time she lost her mother.
I think of them as Mama and Papa because of my Aunt Annie's diaries.
They lived at 1515 with my Grandparents during the depression 
after they had to sell their farm and house in town.

Catherine's Mother  and Grandmother
Mary Hickman Wilson died in childbirth, this is the only picture I have of her. 
The nurse in me wonders why did she have a droop mouth, 
did she have something that contributed to her death in childbirth at the age of 34 such as a stoke?

Her mother Catherine Sherer Hickman is on the rt and that is a card celebrating her 90th birthday.
I had a post once about her birthday part where her Grandaughters baked a 90 layer cake.
My Grandmother thought of her as her Grandmother even though she was her Great Grandmother.
Through my Aunt Annie's diaries I know so much about her even with her being my 3rd Great Grandmother. 

I do Think of Them
My Paternal Grandmothers were wonderful examples for me to live by.
We all have hardships and happiness they make us who we are today.
I truly believe our ancestors made us who we are even if we never knew them.
So blessed to know them from Aunt Annie's diaries and to have their pictures to reflect on at 1515.

Have a great day.
And take time to think of those who came before you.

Remember Me

Ann

12 comments:

ann said...

I am slow to get around. I always enjoy your family posts, the stories that you tell, and especially the photos. I have a box full of old photos from my mother's side that I have no clue to who they are. I am working and Ancestry.com to piece together my mother's side, but all I have are names and a box of no name faces. I like the way you structured the post around the end table. Wonderful.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Ann, your shelf is wonderful and goes along with the end tables perfectly. As always I enjoyed your sweet photos, hearing your family's history and the precious memories. Have a great weekend!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Ann I so enjoy reading your posts on your family history. Love the table of photos of all the women and envy that you know so much about them. You have quite a heritage. Sweet photos of your Dad, Mom & you! You must be thrilled to have those end tables still. :)

Sylvia said...

Ann, It's great to have pictures of our ancestors and to know something about them is the best part. Sylvia D.

Pat said...

Ann,
I remember you, dear friend!!!
I love what you have done with the "Auction Find" at 1515!!!
Amazingly now all your family members will be remembered as you view them from the shelf,
especially at those family get togethers!!!
Adore seeing the old family photos of the walnut side table!!!
Fondly,
Pat

September Violets said...

What a great find for your home. It really has that olden day look to it, and the photos of all your grandmothers resting there looks beautiful. I find it incredible that you have photos of so many of your grandmothers! Although I have old family photos, I'm unsure how far back they go. Not all the photos have been labelled. These family stories you have are such treasures. I've never heard of "remember me" cups, but I love the sentiment. Are these cups that were given to you, or have you collected them from antique shops?
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! Oh, I love the shelf and so glad you've kept all these wonderful things. I do love your love of family history! Happy Valentine's Day, my friend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I should look at my mom's old photos she has even from early last century.
I think your shelf is lovely and that you keep your photos there, so you can always pass by saying hello to them.
Happy Valentine's.
FABBY

Susie said...

Ann, I almost missed this post. So glad I looked at your name on my favorites. You totally amaze me. Your pictures your good memories. I think your father is so handsome. You are your mom looked like you were having some fun. I think of the things my mom had while I was growing up. She lived meager. Too many kids. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie
p.s. it's almost spring time ..so happy.

Sue McPeak said...

Oh, Ann, I so enjoyed this post with the history, memories and photos of your grandmothers. So wonderful that you have so many photos and in great condition. Loved the furniture stories and photos as well. I have a few pieces of furniture and a good many belongings from my grandmother Minnie...thanks to my Mother who loved and saved everything. Great post...thanks for sharing your special family history.
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

Curtains in My Tree said...


I do hope you have children to pass all this family history onto
I am always amazed what all you have and know

Divya said...

Superb Article i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar