Wednesday, August 19, 2015

From Butterflies to Melon Fields, a Saturday Day Trip

The twins just got back from a river cruise in Germany, 
but they were still up for a day trip with me to SE Illinois.

walking to the car, I was greeted by this beautiful butterfly.
His colors remind me of fall.......but no fall weather it was HOT!

the girls had us start the day in their sun room with some homemade banana nut muffins and fresh blueberries and peaches. Beautifully served in their Mom's candlewick bowl. 

We headed out to our first stop a little over a hour away.
Checking out the corn and bean crops.

When we arrive we see this batman like cars? motorcycles?
of course the twins head right over to investigate

now on to the main event
West Union Cafe suppose to have the 
"Wabash Valley best broasted chicken"

yum.....yes it was great and the slaw tasted like KFC.
no dessert, that is our next stop.

The home of  Heath Candy Robinson IL
The original factory is a museum where they serve
heath candy ice cream of course.
The factory is now owned by Hershey but is still in town.
I love the poster of Santa saying "heath has been in more blizzards than me"

even a old car to ad to the vintage feel
Susan provided some music


Then on to Palestine.
We wanted to see where the Land Grant office had been for Illinois.
That is where our ancestors had to travel to purchase the land grants,
being the first to own a certain property in IL.
It would be about 60 miles but in the 1830's that would of been a trip

of course we took our ancestors land grant to be in the picture!

Palestine is also the home of my favorite salad dressing
they were closed on weekends.

Then we were on to Vincennes IN
I wanted to see where my ancestors wintered over in 1817 as they traveled from KY to Spencer, IN

On the way there we saw the strangest thing...irrigated some fields, but what is that crop?
Oh look there is migrate workers in the fields, they must bring them in by those buses?

A..........NO the buses were for the Watermelons!!!
filled up to where the windows should be, no wonder ever intersection had
smashed melons on the pavement.....look out if your turning the corner next to them!

So when at the antique store I had to take a picture of this to remind me!
I soon won't forget!

We found a great antique store
Downtown Vincennes
But we forgot about the time change, and we lost a hour of shopping!
Here are some things we saw
blocks I bought for my SIL to make her trees for her Etsy store
(info on my sidebar)

Pyrex of course!

I even saw my first never opened in the box set!
None of us collect Colonial Mist, but what a great buy.

for a minute I thought these were pink Pyrex!!!!
NO, but Mosser glass.
I had never heard of it.
Newer, made in Cambridge Ohio.
Learn something everyday!
Susan bought a beautiful canister set from Czechoslovakia.
(I forgot to take a picture!)
How appropriate since they just got back from their. Even better was the story of the lady who owned them, she died at 103. She loved to entertain, and a had beautiful collection. Her 80 something daughter was still living and came to see her monthly.
I looked up her obituary, she was in the DAR and loved genealogy.
So what a great tie in to our trip. So Susan copied the obit and put it in one of the canisters.
I love that, so the next owner will know the story too.


beautiful 
George Rogers Clark Memorial
Probably where my family wintered in 1817
and where my Dad and 2 Aunts visited
Aug 2, 1937
Their Aunt lived in Vincennes

Beautiful Park
Home of President William Henry Harrison
Closed, remember that darn time change.

We were tired, hot and thirsty so we headed back home.
This was my little summer trip.
It wasn't Germany but I had a great time.
Hope you enjoyed the sites.
I have highlighted links if you would like to see more.
Happy Hump Day!

Ann



9 comments:

Susie said...

Ann, You made me smile when you said there's smashed melons at the intersections. Here we can sit in the DQ and see tomatoes at the corner. All the tomatoes in our area seem to go to the Red Gold Company east if here. We used to have a Stokley's plant that can tomatoes and bottle ketchup. But it is long gone now..as the little canning plant of the Noble Bros. in Hobbs, In. which is 5 miles from Tipton. So glad you ladies enjoyed your trip and saw the things you did. I was surprised you didn't buy the un-opened pyrex. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

What a fun post Ann! Feel like I traveled with you. I love those little blocks for crafting. You sure covered a lot of territory for one fun day. Sorry the time change tripped you up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! What a fun time with the gals, the vintage and the Pyrex! Love it. Hope you're doing well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sharon M said...

Hello ~ I enjoy your blog very much. The chicken and mashed potatoes look so good I can taste them, and I would have bought that boxed set of Pyrex bowls in a heartbeat. Looking forward to reading more!

Deanna said...

Hi Ann, it's been a long time since I've been here. I'm glad to see that you are still blogging :)

I love Pyrex and have a good collection. I also noticed on Craigslist the same primary color collection in your photos. I only need the green bowl but I should purchase the set just because...lol!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! Thanks for popping in to see me. I'd like a little of that cold spell. Take care.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Donna said...

Sounds like you all had a great time! Bet that river cruise in Germany was awesome! I would love to do that some day. Maybe next time you could go along with the twins:)
That butterfly is gorgeous. Sadly, we don't see many of them any more.

sweetvintageofmine said...

Hi Ann, Oh, I love little road trips with hubby or the gals!! So much FUN! Loved seeing all the neat and interesting pics....small towns are my passion! I enjoyed the history and oh!, that chicken and mashed potatoes...YUM! Blessings~~~Roxie

Divya said...

Superb Article i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar