Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Wee Bit of Irish Learned from My Mother in Law

I don't claim any Irish, hey.... we were Scotch and we just dropped by Ireland on the way to America!

But my MIL is Irish
Beasley and Sullivan
When I married my husband I realized she collected Belleek and she had Waterford Crystal.

So I thought I would share this picture of her today, one of my favorites.

I don't remember what she said the occasion was but she was opening up her home for a house tour and she was displaying her Belleek.



Beautiful pieces
but what amazes me is, how did she collect this and keep it intact raising 8 children!!? 6 of which were boys!
After my in laws moved to a Retirement Village she gave all her daughter in laws pieces.

When I graduated from High School my Grandmother's neighbor gave me my first piece of Belleek which was a vase, seen in the center of my collection here.

I was lucky to be given the pink shell Belleek pieces from my MIL collection
go great with my French St Patty's postcards I picked up in Paris a few years ago.

Think I will go call my MIL, wish her Happy St Patrick's Day, thank her for the Belleek and tell her how much I love her!

9 comments:

Pat said...

Ann,
How very luck you are that you are able to call your Mother~in~law and personally thank her for her gift.
Your collection of Belleck is amazing!!!
Lovely vignettes!!!
Happy Saint Patrick's Day, dear friend!!!
fondly,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! Oh, what a beautiful collection and I'll bet she kept it under lock and key! :) You have a lovely collection too! Happy Patty's Day!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Ann, I'm drooling over your collection. My sister has a few pieces of my Mom's Belleck for me. So lovely. Bet your MIL enjoyed your call. Sweet!

Marissa said...

Wow amazing collection.

ann said...

So pretty. And a lovely collection with sweet memories. Here, no incubator. My mom and dad had an incubator. Too much work The chicks are cute and grow so fast. Ellie especially likes the chicks. Her other grandma gets chicks each spring, encouraging Ellie's hands on. Hope your weather is wawrming up.

Anonymous said...

HI Ann! Oh, I appreciate your visits so much and your sweet comments! We've been blogging friends for a long time, haven't we? Glad you're you!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

My first job was working in a jewelry store that also sold fine gifts. Belleck was sold there and that was my first knowledge of it. Mom traveled to Ireland many years ago and she asked what I wanted her to bring back from the trip. I asked for Belleck and she brought home 2 small pieces that I still cherish today. Love your collection!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a fabulous collection Ann! I had never heard of Belleck till now. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Curtains in My Tree said...

Ann
We must try to meet up in Clarksville at Richards sometime this summer?

I always enjoy going over there. The antique mall was closed Tuesday

Janice