Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day #3 The Reenactment

After Saturday's event, Sunday was not as busy with events.

And might I say......... the weather was beautiful.


early breakfast and time to get the info booth up!

people were out and about early
the courthouse was suppose to be closed but they had so many come on Sat they decided to open and give more tours. I wanted to go thank the vendors I never saw on Saturday.
This is Professor Farquar and Pole Cat Annie who had a old time Medicine Man show.

loved these, I bought one to thank the twins and cousin Marty and one for myself.

they had pizza in 1864..didn't they! 
Mr., Sheryl and I went to get Harold Holzer for lunch and as soon as we were done it was time for the speaker series at the courthouse.

what a distinguished group we had 


people were beginning to gather
My brother even showed up!
It meant so much he was there.


TV stations and our documentary crew were discussing filming

the crowds were beginning to gather

VIP section for the committee
Mr visiting with Harold and a old friend from HS taking my picture

But I spotted our 2 Abe Lincoln's taking the day off!
the crowd went down the west side of the square, and 1/2 way around the south and north side too!

the Director of the Historical Society and committee member was situated in the 
bell tower to ring the bell for each person killed and wounded after the reenactment.
yes, I had a lump in my throat when they said my ancestors name.

I told myself I was not going to take pictures of the Riot and I did not.
I wanted to take it all in.
They did great.
Many videos have been loaded on You tube
This one is from someone from Chicago who contacted me.
I see I am in it yuck! She had the camera right in my face.
But she gives us credit at the end and I thank her.
There are many on their now if you want to see other parts of the weekend.
The end of her video shows a man with the "I had a Riot in Charleston IL" tee shirt.
I have to laugh it is cousin Fred........the first person to purchase a tee shirt months ago!

Well,
After the riot I just had to walk around, it was almost too much for me, but Mr,
had a tight grip on me. I think it was knowing years of planning were now over.

we asked all the reenactors to get together for a picture.

the man who played my GG Uncle Robert Winkler
he is Chad the Colonel of Western Federal Blues

cousins...Karen here with the cousin who played her GGGrandfather

a mini Galbreath reunion

the twins celebrating our conclusion

the evening ended with the presentation of our play
"A Question of Loyalty" 
Took Harold to Dirty's for supper.
We shared some pinot nior and a toast.
Then he talked me into another project!
I have until 2019 for this one, but when he said he wanted me to explore Sarah Bush Lincoln and commemorated the anniversary of her death......I could not say no!

When we left he gave the twins a hug and a kiss,
he did the same to me as I dropped him off at his hotel.
Then he told me I was a amazing person.

It was a truly memorable day


5 comments:

Susie said...

Ann, Bless the twins, they are so good about showing up. I loved how people dressed for this occasion. That big building reminds me of our courthouse. Blessings for a wonderful Easter weekend, xoxo,Susie

Paulette said...

I loved every single photo and story you told us, thanks for sharing this amazing event with us.

ann said...

You are amazing. The entire event was amazing.

Decor To Adore said...

What a fun event!

Have a delightfully lovely Easter.

Debbie said...

Wow! So much work...but I'm sure a labor of love for you.
It all looks amazing, Ann!
Debbie
xo