Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Fathers Day, Grandad's Included!

It will be a quite day around here tomorrow, no fathers to celebrate with.

My father died when I was 18. One of my patients and I were talking about that on Friday, I could tell he felt bad for me. But I told him it was OK, because even though I only had him 18 years, I had the best Dad in the world. Yes, I was a Daddy's girl and I was going somewhere with him.

I still miss your humour, your laugh, your smile and your love every day.

Do you think he thought my brother and I were special?

He looked more like his Dad then I knew

Because this is how I remember my Grandfather Winkler or "Grandad"

He did not do well after my Father died. My Dad died in January and Grandad died in December. It was the most difficult year of my life.
He loved his family so. In 1977 he had his 90th birthday, and recently my cousin uncovered a audio tape of his birthday. For the first time in 33 years I heard his voice and that of my Dads. My favorite part was when Grandad said " the happiest days of my life are those I spend with my children". Yes I cried like a baby. He lived to see one more birthday and died at 91.

But I still had someone who was always there for me..........Pa.
My Mom's Father.

Tall, handsome with a full head of white hair. I spent every Saturday of my life with him, the favorites being going to his gas station and getting a coke out of the machine!
He was always there for me after my Dad died. He made my birthday and holidays special. My Mom thought as a child he was not overly affection, but he was with us. Probably the freedom of retirement and not worrying about everyday life. The picture that says that the most is of him holding my Chatty Cathy doll on his lap, with a smile on his face. He lived long enough to spend part of my Moms retirement with her! They would drive the 2 hours to come visit me. He also lived to be 91.

In 1996 when I met my husband, I was lucky to find out he had a wonderful Father. He was the best and loving Father in law. After all those years it was nice to celebrate Fathers Day again. By the time he died in 2005, I called him "Pop"

I am so very fortunate to of had four such wonderful, loving men in my life. I honor them today.

7 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh golly, here I am with my makeup on before going to church, and now I'm crying.
What a beautiful tribute to four wonderful men. Thanks for sharing!
Cass

Tete said...

Great Father's Day tribute to four wonderful men. You have been so blessed!
Hugs- Tete

Melissa said...

Thank you for commenting on my rose bush. Have a great Sunday!

Richard Cottrell said...

Wonderful tribute to you're men in you're life. Thanks for sharing. Richard at My Old Historic House

Anonymous said...

this is such a wonderful post. I was a big Daddy's girl too and proud of it! :)

Anonymous said...

Ann,
Beautiful tribute. Just beautiful. You were truly blessed with these men in your life!

Debbie said...

Oh Ann...this is such a beautiful post! You made my eyes cry.
I'm sure you were a real blessing to all the "dad's" in your life as well.
Hugs,
Debbie